Neill, John; Smith, Francis Gurney. An Analytical Compendium of the various branches of Medical Science, for the use and examination of Students; A New Edition, Revised and Improved. With Three Hundred and Seventy-Four Illustrations. Philadelphia: Henry C. Lea, 1866. 
Full sturdy sheep binding with black leather title label to spine, some surface scuffing but no cracks or damage, 5 1/2 x 8 inches. A little worming at the top edge of the front endpapers, 974 clean pp., tight. One of the rear free end papers is torn with loss. 374 illustrations. Very good.
A book designed to teach medical students everything necessary to practice medicine.
Sections on Anatomy, Physiology, Surgery, Obstetrics, Chemistry, Materia Medica and Therapeutics, and Practice of Medicine.
Includes an extensive illustrated section on making medicines from plants, pp. 685-808.
John Neill (1819-1880), b. & d. at Philadelphia, PA. He graduated in arts (1837) and in medicine (1840), at the University of Pennsylvania, soon after opening a practice in Philadelphia. He was a successful medical doctor, lecturer, professor, and chief surgeon. During the Civil War he was in charge of military hospitals in Philadelphia, and organized the first eight hospitals of that city. "In 1862 he was commissioned surgeon of United States volunteers, and in 1863 appointed medical director of the forces in Pennsylvania. The same year he was brevetted lieutenant-colonel for meritorious services. Dr. Neill established the hospital at Dickinson College after the bombardment of Carlisle, also the hospitals at Hagerstown, and was afterward appointed port surgeon at Philadelphia. In 1874 he became professor of clinical surgery in the University of Pennsylvania." - Appleton's.
Francis Gurney Smith (1818-1878), b. & d. at Philadelphia. He graduated in arts (1837) and in medicine (1840), at the University of Pennsylvania, briefly served as resident physician at the Pennsylvania Hospital in the Department for the Insane, afterwards opening a practice in Philadelphia. In addition to his medical practice, he lectured on physiology for the Philadelphia Medical Association, was co-editor of the Philadelphia Medical Examiner, and in 1852 was appointed to the chair of physiology at the Pennsylvania Medical College, until 1863 when he became Professor of Institutes of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. "During the Civil War, Smith served at the Christian Street Military Hospital and made several trips to hospitals in the field. In 1875 he established the first physiological laboratory at the University of Pennsylvania." - upenn arcives online.