Black, John. Church Fellowship: A Sermon, preached at the opening of the Synod of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, May 16, 1816. Pittsburgh: Printed by E. Pentland, 1819. First Edition. 
Original plain blue wrapper, 6 1/2 x 9 1/4 inches, 109 pp., edges untrimmed. 1857 gift inscription on ffep. Good. Pamphlet.
61 pp. of sermon followed by 48 pp. of notes. The text is Psalm 55:14.
Advocates charity towards other Christians yet strict closed communion for Reformed Presbyterians. "To all, to whom, in the judgment of charity, we may apply the name of Christian, we ought to extend our Christian communion...But the communion which is strictly ecclesiastical, is to be extended only to such as agree in the same terms of church communion." Much of the work is taken up with answering objections to limited or closed communion.
John Black, D.D. (1768-1849) b. Co. Antrim, Ireland; d. Pittsburgh, PA. After graduating from the University of Glasgow in 1790 he returned to Ireland to study theology. In 1797 he came to America as an exile for liberty at the time of the Irish insurrection. He was licensed by the Reformed Presbytery at Coldenham, NY, in 1799. "Being assigned by this court to labor in Western Pennsylvania, he soon afterwards gathered the Ohio congregation, centering in Pittsburgh, and including all the societies of Covenanters west of the Allegheny mountains. He was ordained by the Reformed Presbytery, and installed pastor of this extensive congregation, December 18, 1800." By 1806 this group was divided into three churches, and Rev. Black remained with that of Pittsburgh. "He was also engaged as a classical teacher, and, in 1820, was elected Professor of Latin and Greek in the Western University of Pennsylvania, and resigned in 1832 when he visited Europe. In the RP schism of 1833 he aligned with the New School branch. "He was a remarkably proficient scholar, especially in the languages, and spent most of his life in teaching. He was identified with all of the charitable institutions of his adopted city, and was a zealous advocate for every reform. He was the first Covenanter minister settled west of the Allegheny mountains, and the pioneer missionary in the new West." - W. Melanchton Glasgow, History of the Reformed Presbyterian Church in America (1888).